It a long long journey
was posted at 8:49:00 PM on Saturday, February 11, 2012



Lazy me is finally going to update about my trip to Chiang Mai.
Hahas!
In case if you don't know, I went overseas to Chiang Mai, Thailand on the second day of Chinese New Year. LOL.


So, on the second day of Chinese New Year, after visiting my granny's house in the afternoon, my family rushed back home to do some last minute preparations before cabbing down to the Airport.

Had a quick dinner at Terminal 1 while waiting for my aunt and uncle to arrive.
After a long wait, we were finally off to check in our luggage.

Took Air Asia for the very first time. To be honest, I know I shouldn't have expected much for a low-cost airline but seriously what's up with the attitude? For whatever reason that the check in counter lady may have, don't you think it's too much for her talk in a pretty rude manner? Oh gosh, I swear I'm not going to travel with the Air Asia ever again. The only thing I like is the amount of leg space I have in the air craft though it's a different story during the return flight.

After wasting some time for the plane to take off (I have no idea why but it always take a verrryyyyyyy long time to take off and land in Singapore.) we are finally on our way to Chiang Mai. It's pretty cool to take a night flight though. It's awesome to see lights of the different buildings against the dark night sky (I would have taken some picture but all thanks to a bitchy looking flight attendant, I have to put all my belonging in the cabin.) especially when we are landing at Chiang Mai.

Reached about 11 plus PM at local time so we quickly hailed a cab to bring us to our hotel, Hotel M. First impression of the hotel was a 'wow'. Not a good or a bad wow, rather, it's a 'mmm, wow' kind of wow. Haha! BUT, I really like the hotel despite the fact that it's kind of small (especially the lift, oh gosh). I'm totally in love with the bed, I'm not kidding. The bed was so awesome that I really have some SLEEP on the first day which I usually don't whenever I travel.

Couple of things that I'm think the hotel is lacking in are that there's no electrical kettle (even though they do replenish the complementary mineral water) and that room service department knocked off kind of early. LOL. Other than these two, I don't have any complaints though my parents have different idea (they preferred the hotel that we stayed in the last time we traveled to Chiang Mai) but it's pretty neat and clean with FREE WIFI (something that we know we can't live without).

Woke up at 6 plus and prepared to go out for breakfast. Did I ever mentioned that the weather in Chiang Mai is plain awesome? Cooling and not humid like hot sunny Singapore. Argh, I miss the weather ):

Settled down on one of the local diner for breakfast where have toast and omelet with ham and cheese. Food in Chiang Mai are more towards the sweet side so I did't really appreciate the fact that my omelet tasted kind of sweet but it is still nice :)

After breakfast, we walked around looking for one day tour to join. Signed on for one for the next day and we were off for some sight seeing. The first stop was a boat ride down Mekong river which the tour agency where we booked the tour introduced.

The ride lasted about 2 hours to and fro with a short stop at a herb and vegetable farm. A pretty relaxing ride, I have to say and I did truly enjoyed the part of the journey. :D

The next stop was the Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep, a temple that my family had visited on our last trip. Walked around before travelling back to some where near our hotel for lunch. I have to say that I was pretty skeptical at the sight of the place where we had our lunch. It not exactly dirty but it's more like a run down place where the hawker did not have a proper place to cook the food.

BUT, HA, NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER! THE FOOD IS PLAIN AWESOME THAT I'M DROOLING NOW AT THE THOUGHT OF IT. (You could probably sense the awesome by my usage of Cap-lock.) The dry noodles with chicken is plainly heavenly. Smooth noodles (something like our local kuey tiao but had smoother texture), tender chicken meat and awesome aromatic sauce, I'm sold and I managed to polished off 2 bowl of it. (Okay, I'm sounding like glutton but hey! On my defense, the portion is pretty small and I'm sharing with my dad. Plus all of my family member had seconds :P )

Grabbed some snacks from 7-11 before heading back to the hotel for some nap in preparation for our next battle - shopping. Hehe. Headed out in the evening and took a cab down to Central Airport Plaza to shop. As its name suggest, the place is pretty near to Chiang Mai airport. Started off by getting us some dinner. Dinner was not really great as we chose to dine at a food court in the shopping center. I'm pretty sure the only thing that are much edible were the fried rice and salad that we ordered. (PS: That's normal fried rice, can't seem to find PINEAPPLE fried rice in the whole Chiang Mai)

After dinner was shopping time! Shopped till the shopping center closed was what we really did. HAHA. Was in panic mode at that time because we were split up - my family and my aunt and uncle to shop but my aunt and uncle did not turn up at the place that we were supposed to meet. Pressing us was that guards was gathering to prepare for the closing. Fortunately everyone turned up before the guards started to throw us out. Hahas. Got back to the hotel and we were all knocked out.

Woke up early again because we were on the one day tour. Ate some buns that we bought the day before for breakfast as we were rushing for time. Our tour van was filled with people from different countries - Singaporeans, Taiwanese and Germans. The first destination was Vachiratharn waterfall in doi inthanon national park.

This waterfall can be considered as the most waterfall looking waterfall I have ever seen in my 20 years life. Haha! It was a short stay, just enough for us to take pictures of the waterfall and pee break. Oh! Our guide offered us some awesome tasting banana chips that I regretted not buying because I can't find them in any other places. Did find something similar that tasted awesome too but the awesome level is not that high as the ones the guide offered. D:

The next destination was the highest spot in Thailand, which on the top of the doi inthanon national park. The air is damn dry that it actually hurts when I'm breathing (my lousy nose is pretty sensitive to this stuff). You can totally feel the warm of the sun but the very next moment when the wind blows, the chill that you will get will definitely travel down your spine causing you to shiver.

Moving on, we went down to the King and Queen Pagodas before getting down to a market where the Karen hill tribe sells their stuff. The flowers, the weather, the sky and the sight at the Pagodas was a total bliss. Everything is so stunning that I thought I'm in heaven. Haha!

Lunch was pretty good, though the food was cold due to the cooling weather but the taste? Definitely a ME GUSTA. Hehe. Headed down to another waterfall which I don't remember the name but it's a a lot smaller one compared to the previous one. Took a short walk before heading to the Karen Hill Tribe village to take a look. I have say that the chickens that the villagers reared as sent the Taiwanese brothers on board wild. HAHA! It's pretty funny to see them running after the chickens.

The van bought us back to our respective hotel where we bide goodbye to each other. Was thinking of getting a nap before heading for more shopping but it ends up me being dragged out for some thai massage. I opted for a head, neck, shoulder and back massage but ends up being like a whole body massage (though the lady focus more on my back) as she massaged my arms and legs too. HAHA! It was pretty awkward for me as it's only me and the lady in the room because my parents and aunts started out first but as weird as it may sound, the sound my cracking bones broke the ice. LOL!

Did not really enjoyed the massage though the lady was really nice because for one, she's putting her WHOLE weight on me and secondly, I'm not one that particularly like massages. BUT LOL, the lady said I looked 17 instead of 20 (SHY SIA). Ended up with an aching back and a bruise on my arm after the massage. Oh gosh, am I the only that will become like this after a massage? DX

Went off for dinner straight after the massage. Dinner was pretty lousy since we dined at a "restaurant" which was a part of a bar. There's isn't much variety and the ambiance was pretty blah. The place was so dimmed that I could hardly see what am I eating. Oh well, at least the people were nice :)

Walked all the way down the night market where my family visited before. As usual was bustling with people. Had a great time shopping that we ended up going back to our hotel after midnight. I'm pretty surprised that I actually managed to survive all this shopping. LOL. Must be either the massage has done me good or that the place is enchanted. HAHAH!

Woke up as early as the previous days and we were out for breakfast. Ate at a cozy little cafe managed by a lovely lady. By cozy, I really meant it. It's pretty small, with only a few tables (about four, I think) but it radiated off this really warm feeling. Perhaps it's the deco of the place? It's pretty awesome, I have to say as I have fallen in love with the place. HAHA. The lady is reallyyyyyyy nice! The name of the place is Morning Glory, cute and cozy! ;)

Cabbed down to a local market which is so damn huge. My mum and aunt totally went gaga over the stuff. My crazy mother actually thought of sneaking FRUITS back to Singapore. -.- (Seriously, mum?)

Return back to the hotel to pack our stuff as we were flying back in the late afternoon. Left our packed luggage with the hotel after we check out and since we had some time before our flight we went down to Kad Suan Kaew (Central) Shopping center to continue our shopping spree.

Lunch was at a Chinese restaurant which I don't really appreciate but oh well. Kad Suan Kaew is the biggest shopping center in Chiang Mai so no doubt it's a quite a place other than the night market. Was pretty glad to be able to buy my BB cover though my current one was not exactly spoiled but hahah!

Cab back to the hotel to collect our stuff before cabbing down to the airport to catch our flight. The flight back was terrible. The seat seemed a lot smaller and there's this insensitive asshole kept adjusting his seat so her can lean back when apparently there's NO SPACE left for. What a jerk! >:[

Landed in Singapore at 8 plus PM. Grabbed our dinner and home sweet home. :)

This trip was pretty much a rest for me after slogging like slave to my company during internship. Mind you, I HAVE NOT TAKE A SINGLE MC during these freaking months which by the way may resulted in me going bonkers. Speaking of internship, it's ending in 2 weeks time! *Punch fist in air* The day I have been waiting for is finally arriving!

But apparently my supervisor had offered me stay for 2 more week till the replacement come. Pay will be A LOT higher but here's a BIG question: Money or Sanity?

Oh well, putting this stuff aside, I can't wait to go overseas again~ LOL!